Wednesday 13 November 2013

ROUND UP // Words from FIRST TERM OF MAJOR WORK

[PROPOSAL]

The Musical

Story

A musical, in which the characters are aware that they live in a musical. Set in a small town, bursting into song is part of their everyday lives but when they discover that the rest of the world doesn’t do that, they start to question how they express themselves.

Creative Aims
I would like those who love musicals to enjoy the references to common tropes found in the genre, and those who dislike musicals to be eased into watching a musical by having characters who share their point of view of how musicals are “weird”. On the whole however I’d like to have the audience think about others differences and acceptance of them.

Technical Aims
This story would be playing more to my strengths given that my art style is generally brighter and quite cartoon-y. I’d like to work really strong dynamic poses and faces which would be required for the characters as they’d be overly expressive while singing and dancing. 


[PRESENTATION]

Story
Off The Track is an original story. And it will be set as an animated musical set in America in the 1950’s.
In basic terms, it’s about breaking out of moulds set by others and finding a version of yourself that fits you, even if it isn’t who you thought you’d be.
The story is a mix of films and books of the 1950’s such as Roman Holiday (‘53) and On the Road (‘57) that focuses on characters escaping the expectations set for them and exploring new places.

It is also partly inspired by the journey taken by Dorothy in the movie-musical Wizard of Oz, however unlike Dorothy the characters in Off the Track choose not to stay home and instead continue to search for new places to belong. This is to go with the rebellious feelings of teenagers in the 1950’s.
As well as exploring the idea that “life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you”.

Creative Aims
What I would like to portray in my concept art would be first and foremost, the story. I want the audience to instantly have an idea of the character’s personalities and that they fit together, and in this world. To do this, I want to learn and build on from dynamic and memorable style of Disney as well as similar designs. My main inspirations coming from Disney concept artist Mary Blair, as well as Pixar’s recently released film, Monsters University. These styles show that the detail isn’t as important in conveying story and mood as is use texture, colour and composition.

I’d love to add features of photo manipulation and elements of real-life materials such as watercolours and timber, as seen from online artists and illustrators to add a more “rustic” finish to my work. As well as to compliment the story’s main setting, in the middle of a forest.
For myself, I want to be proud of my work and get a better idea of what my own personal style is. I’ve been told in the past that my style is probably most suited to younger audiences/kids, and if that’s my strength then I’d like to try to master it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment